DIPLOMATIC MANNERS

Time was when the foreign diplomat appeared in the news only when he attended a royal christening, or took tea with Her Majesty. Today a newspaper is hardly complete without its piece of "ambassadorial criticism". Mr. Herrick's Champagne speech has stirred up more unfavorable comment than it warrants. It is his place to represent the American people. But the fact that he misinterprets his government's attitude, and states his opinion publicly does not necessitate the criticism of two countries. It is the government's duty to correct him and to forget about it. But, according to the Boston Herald, the American administration rebukes him for fear of losing ground in the impending presidential race, while France concludes "that we now have unofficial ambassadors as well as unofficial observers."

The ambassador's position, like the President's, become more difficult year by year. He is considered virtually public property. Mr. Harvey may not have been born a diplomat, but that does not excuse be criticism which he received for the wrinkled lapels of his dinner-coat, or the unbecoming appearance of his bone-rimmed spectacles. By all means the foreign minister should do his almost to represent his country creditably: but even he should be pardoned for an occasional slip-up.