NATIVE TO PLEAD FOR ISLAND INDEPENDENCE

HAS LONG BEEN PROMINENT IN FILIPINO POLITICS

Mr. Pedro Guevara of the Philippine Islands will try to convince many of the Union members who hear him speak at 8 o'clock this evening in the Living Room of the Union that the Philippine Islands should have their independence. His announced subject is "The struggle with General Wood for Philippine Independence."

Only members of the Union and their guests may hear Mr. Guevara's address this evening.

Mr. Guevara is one of the two resident commissioners who represent the Filipino government in Washington, and in this capacity he has made several addresses in the east. He comes to Boston primarily to confer with Mr. Moorfield Storey '66, a Boston attorney, who was an ardent advocate of independence for the Philippines at the time when the United States withdrew its military authority from the islands after the Spanish-American war. Mr. Storey will introduce Mr. Guevara this evening.

Took Part in Spanish War

In Filipino politics Mr. Guevara has been an eminent figure for many years. After studying law at the University of St. Thomas in Manila, an institution founded 25 years before the founding of Harvard University in 1636, he joined the Filipino insurgents against the Spanish government in 1897, and after the Spanish-American War he continued in the insurgent ranks as a colonel, now fighting the United States administration. When the insurrection was put down, he returned to private life.

In 1911 he was elected a member of the Philippine Assembly. In 1916 when the Organic Act of Congress, often called the Jones act, created a Filipino senate, he became one of 24 Filipino senators. In his party, which has continually advocated independence for the islands, he has ranked in leadership only to Manuel Quezon. He resigned his senatorship in order to represent his government at Washington.

Before the meeting tonight. Mr. Guevara, Mr. Storey, and other will be entertained at dinner at the Union at 6.45 o'clock.