FIELD EVENT MEN TO START WORK MONDAY

Former University Pole Vaulter Will Have Charge of Candidates for That Event for Coming season

The official opening of track preparation for 1924 will take place Monday afternoon, when field event candidates meet for the first preliminary practice in the cage. With the cross-country season a thing of the past, Coach Farrell will be able to throw all his energies into superintending the work of this department, and it is expected that a considerable advance in the way of fundamentals will have been made by early spring. Practice is to be held from 2 to 6 o'clock daily.

There is a special need in the field events department this year. Marshall, the University mainstay in the hammer, will be gone, while both Davis and Reidy, who divided the pole-vault honors between them, last spring, have graduated. Broad-jumping is also a weak department, and will need considerable bolstering before spring.

A substantial addition to the coaching staff has been made by the appointment of R. W. Harwood '21 to be in charge of the pole-vaulters. Harwood had an enviable record in college, taking second in the 1920 intercollegiate, second in the 1921 Yale meet, and tying for first honors in the Intercollegiate meet of the same year. He will have much the same position as Teschner, Hauers, and O'Connell have held in coaching the dashes, hurdles, and distances this fall.

The final phase of the fall handicap meet is scheduled for next Friday afternoon when the field event men will compete in the cage. The track events were completed on November 7.