BIG INCREASE IS SHOWN IN FRESHMAN ATHLETES

Number Participating in Sports This Year Is 169 More Than Last Year--Squash Is Again Most Popular Field

The Department of Physical Education announced yesterday that a total of 866 Freshmen are taking part in winter activities in order to satisfy their physical training requirement.

This exceeds the total number of Freshmen who participated in athletics last winter by 169. Squash, track, and fencing have made the greatest progress in popularity, while basketball, and the gymnasium class, have a much smaller enrollment. There is no equitation for Freshmen this winter.

Squash is by far the most popular of the winter sports, having 230 men enrolled on its lists. Swimming is second with 106 men registered, while crew ranks a close third with 95, in spite of the fact that it is out of season.

The following table shows the number of Freshmen engaged in each activity as compared with the figures of last winter:   1927  1926 Squash  230  150 Swimming  106  87 Crew  95  105 Corrective Work  82  68 Boxing  78  85 Hockey  60  43 Basketball  60  87 Track  45  9 Fencing  43  19 Wrestling  29  37 Handball  22  18 Gymnasium Class  16  30 Equitation  0  46 Total  866  697