Head of Harvard Board of Tutors Explains Work Accomplished by Mr. Leys While Here to Try Out English Tutorial Methods

"The exchange of tutors with English universities is a new idea at Harvard," said Professor A. C. Hartford, chairman of the tutors in the Division of History, Government and Economics, to a CRIMSON reporter last evening.

"Although it is early to comment on the results of this arrangement, it can be said that Harvard will profit most by the exchange of men. When Mr. Leys was here, he had a representative group for tutorial work and conducted a course in modern English history. His work was the same as the other men in the department, and for a space of three months he became a Harvard tutor, studying the American tutorial method.

"At the weekly meetings of the department and at a dinner at the Harvard Club of Boston, Mr. Leys carefully explained the Oxford tutorial system. The method employed at Harvard is still in its infancy. That established at the great English colleges has been in use for over a hundred years. Abroad, the emphasis is placed on the tutorial work. Here, the tutoring and lectures are combined. Mr. Leys did not attempt to criticize the Harvard method but pointed out the strong features of the Oxford system, most important among which is the greater emphasis placed on reading quickly and intelligently large assignments of work.

"It will be interesting to note the impression made on our men abroad by the English tutorial system. Possibly on their return, they will have some suggestions to make."