SAYS LABOR WILL WIN AT NEXT BRITISH ELECTION

LIBERAL PARTY MAY ULTIMATELY CEASE TO EXIST

"The Labor Party is destined to become the permanent second party in England. The present dead-lock between Conservatives, Liberals, and Laborites cannot continue, and the next election, which must come in the near future will see the beginning of the disintegration of the Liberal Party." In an interview yesterday with a CRIMSON reporter, A. Emil Davies, prominent English economist, banker, capitalist, and Labor Party leader, stated that in his opinion, this is the most significant conclusion to be drawn from the recent parliamentary elections.

"England, I think, will not take to a three-party system permanently. The recent election was not a contest between the Conservatives and the other parties, as it appeared on the surface. It was a fight between Liberals and Laborites to become the second party in Parliament. And if the Liberals with all their money--Lloyd George, you know, used an immense amount of financial influence,--if they could not defeat us this time, I do not believe they ever will.

"It is highly significant that only one of all the newspapers in England was favorable to Labor, and that one only a small party organ. Labor was also handicapped by a grave shortage of funds. Without money and without newspapers we have won a great victory" Mr. Davies explained this success by describing the enthusiasm for the party and its principles among the party workers and among the people. "Their enthusiasm amounts almost to a religion," he said, "Comparatively poor people made substantial contributions, and many of them worked late into the night, without pay and always asking to be allowed to do more."

Mr. Davies, who stood for Parliament from Romford and was defeated by the narrow margin of 450 votes, found him- self in Los Angeles, 7000 miles from his constituency, when Mr. Baldwin suddenly called an election. As a result, he had the novel experience of conducting his campaign by cable. Mr. Davies is now a member of the London County Council, president of two London Trust Companies, and an executive of a score or more British organizations connected with modern developments, ranging from garden cities to dramatic leagues. He was formerly general manager of the greatest corporation of investment bankers in Great Britian. Despite this sort of background, he is a distinguished member of the band of intellectuals who are contributing the spirit and the intelligence of the Labor Party's policy.

Election Mere Postponement

When asked about the significance of Prime Minister Baldwin's decision to face Parliament again in January, Mr. Davies replied. "I do not think that it has any particular significance at all. It merely postpones the outcome. We have got to have a budget in March, and the present Parliament will not pass one. There will have to be another election soon."

That he anticipates a Labor victory in that election. Mr. Davies intimated, and he had this to say about its probable policy. "The Labor Party will inaugurate state works to relieve the unemployment situation. Even if you spend more money it is more profitable if you keep the people in honest employment and have necessary work done, than if you leave them in idleness and spend great sums in doles. A child can see that; the only trouble has been in the opposition of rich men in the older parties. There is much discontent in England. Your country is so big and there is still land for your people to expand over. It doesn't mean so much to be unemployed here as it does in England.

"Of course the great problems will be international, but I do not see why a Labor ministry will not be as successful as any other. It will have the confidence of the people. They will be certain that secret treaties are not being made behind their backs as the other parties are always doing." Mr. Davies emphasized the gravity of the situation. "Conditions are much worse than they seem," he said, "And they are not getting better but worse. He declared that there is a great need in England for forward looking leadership to help restore world prosperity as a preliminary to English recovery