SQUALLS TO THE SOUTH

A century has passed since President Monroe sent Congress the message that: "The occasion has been judged proper for asserting as a principle ... that the American continents ... are henceforth not to be considered as subjects for future colonization by any European power." The nation-wide observance of this centenary will emphasize the doctrine's importance in American foreign policy; yet its discussion will be important only if it serves to direct public attention to the affairs of South America. Since its promulgation the doctrine has been invoked to support the foreign policy of the United States in almost every conceivable situation, from the checking of Russian expansion down the Pacific coast to the rejection of the League of Nations Covenant. But essentially it defined the relations of the United States to the new South American republics.

It is perhaps trite to say that conditions have changed in South America since 1823. The age of European colonization has passed, and with it the necessity of protection for these "little sisters" by the United States. But peace and tranquility on the southern continent are still rather abstract ideals. The aftermath of the failure of the fifth Pan American Conference at Santiago to limit the armaments of Argentine, Brazil, and Chile has been a renewal of military and naval competition.

What part the United States plays among the rumors and threats of war is indicated by the speech of Dr. Luis de Elizalde at Buenos Aires. Though he though that Brazil does not really want war, he believes that Brazil's actions are being directed by the United States to catechize South America in order to balance a growing Anglo Japanese entente. Such a notion is but natural with resentment at the "big-brother" attitude of the Monroe doctrine scarce appeased by the Pan-American movement.

America's manner of acquiring the Panama Canal Zone has helped to make South American states suspicious of an expanding northern neighbor, and as a result, trade has declined. With the changed conditions it is highly expedient that the United States once more make clear her relations to her southern neighbors. Two courses lie open: either to assert baldly a policy of maintaining peace in South America or to treat them as "grown up sisters". Perhaps the latter plan would prove less troublesome. At any rate a new definition of relations is necessary.