FORTY MEN REPORT FOR FIELD EVENT PRACTICE

MATERIAL IN POLE VAULT AND HAMMER IS NOT STRONG

Over 40 field event men from the University and Freshman track squads reported to Field Coach Farrel yesterday afternoon in the baseball cage for the first practice of the winter season.

Heretofore winter track practice has not begun until after the close of the Christmas holidays. This year, however, the weakness left in several field events by graduation last spring, has made necessary early practice in order to train their inexperienced successors in the fundamentals. The two weakest departments are the pole vault and the hammer throw, in which no veterans are returning. At least one "H" man from last year's track team reported for work at yesterday's practice, in the remaining field events; F. K. Kernan '24 in the javelin, C. C. Carpenter '24 in the discus, Captain L. E. Merrill '24 in the broad jump, C. A. C. Eastman '24 and H. T. Dunker '25 shotput, and R. D. Gerould '24 and R. F. Byatt '24 high jump.

Practice will be held in the cage from 2 until 6 o'clock each afternoon from now until the Christmas holidays. The routine of regular practice will be broken on Friday when the field events of the Fall Open Handicap Track Meet will be held in the cage. All members of the University will be eligible to compete.