NOTED EXPLORER TO SPEAK AT UNION AT 4

Honored for Relief Work During World War--Professor A. N. Holcombe '06 Outlines His Career

Dr. Fridtjof Nansen, noted arctic explorer and European relief worker, and winner of the Nobel peace prize this year, will speak on his personal experiences in the Living Room of the Union at 4 o'clock this afternoon. He will be introduced by President Lowell. Mr. Nansen will be in Boston only today and will speak in Symphony Hall this evening at 8 o'clock.

Professor A. N. Holcombe '06 of the Department of History, Government, and Economics, outlined Mr. Nansen's career yesterday in an interview for the CRIMSON. "Mr. Nansen's first claim to fame arose through a deed 30 years ago, when he tried to reach the north pole by a new route. He believed that there was a warm current which carried the ice across the north pole, and he conceived the idea of building a special boat, which ice would not crush but which would be pushed on top of an ice floe. He intended to freeze the boat into the ice pack on the east coast of Greenland, and to drift across the pole. He carried out his ideas and after a year and a half, far north of the Arctic Circle, he concluded that he would miss the pole, and consequently, on foot with a few followers, he left the boat and set out, across the ice for the pole. He did not reach it, but came much nearer than any man had done before. It was a marvelous exhibition of courage and vigor.

Was In Charge of War Prisoners

"On this feat his reputation had rested until the World War, when he took charge of returning prisoners of war to their native countries. His work was largely in Russia, Germany, and Czecho-Slavakia. Since the war he has been doing relief work in connection with the League of Nations. He has won for himself as great honors for relief work as for his polar expedition. It was for the relief work that he was awarded the Nobel prize."

Mr. Nansen is very much interested in the work which the European Student Relief is doing in Europe, and recently he gave out the following statement:

"I have been greatly interested to hear of the plans which the colleges and schools of America are making to continue their support of the Student Friendship Fund for European Student Relief. I have known intimately its relief program--its student kitchens in Russia, the assistance given refugee students, and its development of self-help organizations in other lands.

"Therefore I wish to express my highest appreciation of the work and of the methods of administration employed by the European Student Relief. It has done much to insure educated leaders for the rebuilding of Europe."