SANDERS AUDIENCE WILL HEAR BAUER TONIGHT

PRELUDE TO "OEDIPUS REX" BY PAINE OF ESPECIAL INTEREST

Mr. Harold Bauer, one of the world's foremost pianists, will be the soloist at the Boston Symphony Orchestra's third appearance in Sanders Theatre this season at 8 o'clock tonight. Mr. Bauer, an Englishman born in London, at first studied the violin, but later, on Paderewski's recommendation studied the piano in Paris. He first appeared in the United States in 1900 with the Boston Symphony Orchestra.

A number on this evening's program of unusual interest will be the prelude to the "Oedipus Rex" of Sophocles, which was composed by John Knowles Paine, h. '69, after whom Paine concert hall in the Music Building is named. Professor Paine, now dead, composed this prelude especially for a production of "Oedipus Tyrannus" by Harvard students in 1881: This production was given that year in Sanders Theatre, and in the original Greek.

Monsieur Pierre Monteaux, who is with the Boston Symphony for his last year, will conduct. The program for this evening's concert follows: Overture to "Der Freischutz"  Weber Concerto No. 2 in B flat major for Pianforte and Orchestra, Opera 83  Brahms   Intermission Prelude to the "Oedipus Tyrannus" of Sophocles  Paine "Pelleas and Melisande," Suite from the Stage Music to Maeterlinck's Tragedy, Opera 80  Faure Polovtsian Dances from the Opera "Prince Igor"  Borodin