Princeton Undergraduates Rise Against Student Council; Hostility Reaches Climax in Mass Vote to Oust Members

The fight against its Senior Council by the Princeton undergraduate body, which began at a mass meeting last Monday evening, reached a climax yesterday, when the Senior class voted to oust the Council by a 191 to 133 vote.

This vote was almost the inevitable result of that hostility toward the membership and actions of the Council, manifested at the mass meeting last Monday. The three Council actions which aroused undergraduate ire were the abolition of three time honored institutions, the Junior Prom, the Freshman restrictive customs, and the Flour Picture (the photograph of the first year men, in old clothes white with flour and eggs). The mass meeting on Monday condemned the abolition of the Freshman customs and the Flour Picture by 477 to 27 and 435 to 77, votes respectively. Moreover the Junior Prom was favored by a four to one vote.

The uncompromising attitude of H. S. Pole, Chairman of the Council in attempting to justify the Council's action aroused the mass meeting to consider the question "Do you approve the present method of selection of the Council?" Under the leadership of A. Leitch '24, a negative vote of 335 votes defeated 127 for the affirmative.

The Council was overwhelmingly out of favor at the mass meeting, yet no action toward reform resulted. Consequently, the question "Do you desire the present Senior Council to remain in office?" was presented to the Senior class yesterday. There were 133 assenting, and 191 dissenting votes.

Yesterday's vote is very likely to cause a change in the membership of the Council, and will moreover probably result in a new method of electing its members. There is no student organization which can force the Council out of office, but it is doubtful whether that organization will be able to sustain the hostility of the undergraduate body.