YALE'S NEW HAVEN

Yale's magnificent new gift, from an anonymous donor, of seven hundred and fifty acres of woodland on the outskirts of New Haven, stands out in refreshing contrast to the members of half-given or useless legacies which are the bane of education today, embarrassing the beneficiaries as much as they inflate the names of the benefactors. Although it has been said that over half the title of college president is the office of continually passing the hat; it is more and more becoming the fashion for a captain of industry to justify his gains by largesse thrown to the colleges,--a couple of hundred thousand here for a dormitory to be built just so, a million there for a specially designed Greek theatre,--with careful provision that the donor shall not be forgotten.

The Greist Woodlands come to Yale not only without restrictions, but also in themselves offering unlimited possibilities for future development. A golf course, the largest college links in the country, is the first step, and further plans point to possible ski jumps, toboggan slides, and an outdoor rink on the lake. Even with all of these created there will be room for a "Faculty colony" such as the "Faculty development plan" at Princeton.

But whether all of these ideas are carried out or none of them, the new "back country" remains a tremendous resource of which Yale may well be proud.