"CATSKILL DUTCH" WILL HAVE PUBLIC PRODUCTION WITH EXPERIENCED CAST

WILL PLAY IN BRATTLE HALL FEBRUARY 19

The 47 Workshop, it has been pointed out, does not have the disadvantage either of the average college dramatic club, whose membership is constantly changing or of the professional company that is disbanded after each production. Many of the members of the cast of "Catskill Dutch", the play which will be presented in the first public performance of the 47 Workshop on February 19, have been in the Workshop Company since its organization, and have taken part in many of its productions. All of the members of the company have acted together for at least three years, and many for a longer time, while the company has had the same director, Professor G. P. Baker '87, ever since its formation.

Miss Sands Former Star of Judy

Miss Dorothy Sands, who is taking the part of Nelia-Anne, a "bound-out" girl, was one of the charter members of the company. She played Pastora and Miss Mercy in the plays of those names produced in 1921, and took the part of Judy in "A Punch for Judy", in the same year. What has been considered one of her finest interpretations was that of Gismonda, an Italian lady of the Renaissance period, in "Torches", one of the plays of 1920.

Mr. Stewart Masten, who is playing opposite Miss Sands as Peetcha Steenkoop, came from the professional stage in California to join the Workshop Company. He played Allessandro in "Pastora", and has had leading parts in "Slug" and "Pirates of Paradise", two of this year's plays.

Case Steenkoop, Peetcha's father, will be played by Mr. F. C. Packard Jr. '19, who has played in "Makers of Light" and "Crucible", Workshop plays of 1921 and 1922 respectively, as well as in several plays produced by the Dramatic Club.

Many Plays Written by Miss Halman

Miss Doris Halman, who has been a member of the company since its organization, will play Sait Wolleben, Case Steenkoop's sister. Among the parts she has played are Rosa Rosalis in "Pastora", Pierrot's mother in "The Mourner", plays of last year, and the mother in "Slug", the first production of this year. She was one of the authors of "The 47 Varieties", a musical parody on the Workshop's productions given last year. Miss Halman wrote three plays produced by the Workshop: "Will o' the Wisp", "Rusted Stock", and "The Play Room". She will publish shortly a book of one-act plays called "Set the Stage for Eight".

Brammy Wolleben, Sait's husband, will be played by Mr. J. W. D. Seymour '17, a former president of the Dramatic Club and charter member of the Workshop Company. Mr. Seymour was the leading man in "A Punch for Judy".

Cast Includes Undergraduates

Undergraduates in the cast are J. M. Brown '23, as Cobby, a negro servant, and Conrad Salinger '23, as Deacon Ikey Myers. Brown was president of the Dramatic Club for the first half-year of 1922-23. He has had parts in many Workshop plays. Salinger has usually played romantic parts in Workshop plays. He was the composer of the music for the Dramatic Club's production of "The Life of Man".

This performance of "Catskill Dutch" is the first open performance by the 47 Workshop, and it has been pointed out that it is intended primarily, for members of the University, although the public will also be admitted. Tickets are on sale at $1.65 for the floor and $1.10 for the balcony at the Cooperative Society. Leavitt and Peirce's, the 47 Workshop office in Lower Massachusetts, and at Berrick's in Boston.