FRESHMEN CROWD HALL IN INITIAL CLUB MEETING

125 Report to Coach Haines at Season's Opening--150-Pound Crews Picked--Class Eight Rowing Favored by Upper-Classmen Over Club System

The Freshman crew season began yesterday afternoon with a meeting in the Smith Halls Common Room at which approximately 125 members of the Freshman class reported. Coach H. H. Haines, who will have charge of the regular Freshman crews, exclusive of the 150-pound men, outlined the plans for the season, emphasizing the necessity of training, although intensive training will not start for some time. Coach William Haines, who will have charge of all the 150-pound crews, including both upper-class and Freshman, announced that three 150-pound crews had been picked to start work next Monday on the machines in the Weld boat house and on the tanks in Newell boat house. The other Freshman candidates will also row, beginning on Monday, in both boat houses.

Dr. Howe, Director of Rowing, then spoke at length on the rowing equipment, making a particular point of the necessity of having every man know all the parts of the boats and oars.

The number of men who reported this year, 125, just falls short of last year's record, when 126 men turned out. It is expected, however, that the total will be swelled by the addition to the squad of men who are now playing hockey or were, for other reasons, unable to report today. Work for all Freshman crews will begin Monday. The present plan includes work for all these crews on the machine at Weld boat house and in the tanks at Newell boat house.