A Perfect Tribute

Communications

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

In this month in which we celebrate the birthdays of our two greatest Americans, it is of interest to know what "the emancipator" thought of "the father". I wish to submit here the tribute which Lincoln paid to Washington at the close of an address delivered in 1842, and published in the "Sangamon Journal" of Springfield, III., on March 26, 1842. This tribute was lost for seventy-eight years--till one day in February, 1920, L. H. Alexander of Philadelphia discovered it in the files at Washington. Because it is so little known, and because it is so simple and beautiful a statement of Lincoln's reverence for Washington, I venture to present it here.

"This is the 110th anniversary of the birthday of Washington. We are met to celebrate the day. Washington--the mightlest name on earth--long since mightlest in the cause of civil liberty; still mightiest in moral reformation. On that name a eulogy is expected. It cannot be. To add brightness to the sun or brightness to the name of Washington is alike impossible. Let none attempt it. In solemn awe pronounce the name and in its naked, deathless splendor leave it shining on". STOCKTON KIMBALL '24