OXFORD-CAMBRIDGE TRACK MEET DATE TENTATIVELY SET

Cablegram Sent to English Officials--Contest Probably to be Held at Wembley Near London

Formal plans for the international track meet in England next summer between the combined Harvard-Yale and Oxford-Cambridge teams have now taken definite shape as a result of the conference in Boston Saturday 'afternoon' between athletic authorities of the University and Yale. Major F. W. Moore '93, Mr. W. A. Barron '14, and Mr. W. J. Bingham '16 made up the University delegation; Mr. J. T. Blossom, the Blue athletic director, and Mr. A. C. Gilbert, chairman of the Yale graduate track committee last year, represented Yale at the meeting.

In regard to the date for holding the meet, July 21 was agreed upon as the most preferable of the three tentative dates formerly decided upon--July 12, 14, and 21. This date will not become definite until approved by the Oxford and Cambridge track authorities.

Although 12 events had been agreed upon in the conferences in London last December between Mr. Bingham and the English officials, there was still some question as whether to have the length of the long-distance run two or three miles. This question was taken under discussion at the meeting Saturday with the result that the shorter distance was agreed upon as the more preferable.

The following cablegram was sent Saturday night to B. G. D. Rudd, captain of the Oxford track team in 1921, who is one of the English officials in charge of the meet:

"Harvard-Yale accept. Arranging transportation assumption meet July 21. Cable Gilbert confirmation. Twelve events discussed satisfactory, except would prefer two instead of three miles, same as last two international meets." Signed, Harvard-Yale.

Twenty Men to Make Trip

While no definite sailing date has been set yet, tentative reservations for the American athletes have been made on boats leaving on June 28 and 30, and on July 3. It is expected that about 20 members of the University and Yale teams will make the trip. Although two men from each of the combined teams are to be entered in each event, some of the athletes will double up, participating in two events.

The location of the meet is practically assured for Wembley if the affair is held on July 21. Capable of holding over 100,000 spectators, the new stadium just outside of London is undoubtedly the most suitable place for staging the meet. If, which is unlikely July 12 or 14 is finally chosen, the Queen's Club will be the scene of the event.

The general feeling at the meeting Saturday was very favorable towards the continuation of the international meet in the future. Both the University and Yale officials are anxious that this international event be carried on on a home-and-home agreement every two years Oxford and Cambridge coming over here in 1925, and Harvard and Yale going abroad again in 1927.

When the combined Harvard-Yale and Oxford-Cambridge teams meet this summer it will be the sixth time the two pairs of colleges have faced each other on the track. Beginning with the first meet in England in 1899, the Americans have been victorious three times out of the five. The last meet was held in the Stadium in the summer of 1921, the Harvard-Yale team winning 8-2.