CRIMSON HOLDS EARLY LEAD FOR 1-0 VICTORY OVER TIGER

Scores After Six Minutes and 50 Seconds of Play on Unexpected Shot--Tigers Are Always Aggressive

Scoring an unexpected goal in the first period, the University sextet was barely able to turn back the repeated attacks of the powerful Princeton combination and to clinch the annual series with a 1-0 victory at the Arena last night. Time and again the speedy Tiger forwards swept down deep in the Crimson territory raining shots at Bigelow, but with flawless precision he turned them away. Repeatedly the brunt of the attack fell upon his shoulders and there were times when a score from a scrimmage seems imminent but he always managed to relieve the situation momentarily with a brilliant performance.

The winning tally came as a surprise after six minutes and 50 seconds of uphill play for the University. Owen managed to recover the puck from a struggle in the Crimson's end of the rink and with Larocque went down beyond the Orange and Black defense. Larocque took a hard shot at Gleason, but the goal guard turned it to the side boards, and while the teams were getting into position Beals shot the puck into the cage before Gleason was expecting it. The Tigers, fighting hard to make up for the tally, brought continued pressure to bear on the Crimson defense, and at times the play was characterized by excessive roughness.

Captain Van Gerbig took the initiative in nearly all the Princeton, offensives and with Davis formed a combination which was hard to keep away from the Crimson cage. His speed was a problem for the University defenders and when the Crimson carried the puck to the visitors' territory, the Tiger captain was back at his defense position in an attempt to assume once more the aggressive.

The failure of the University to maintain the superiority on the Princeton ice was due to the ability of the visitors to cover the Crimson skaters. Since the opposing teams have played two games together, each team was familiar with the individual play of the other, and it was evident last night that Coach Gaw had instructed his charges to stay close to the University attackers. Owen was seldom able to get loose for his usual long rallys, for Van Gerbig and Davis kept him well covered up. Crosby, too, was well taken care of but his quick starting ability enabled him to get down through the defense for two spectacular shots.

Princeton took the aggressive from the opening whistle but, while most of the play was on Crimson ice, the University defense forced the Tigers to resort to long ineffective shots. The drives that did reach the cage were easily stopped by Bigelow, so that at first the Crimson seemed in no real danger. Early in the period it looked black for the University when Owen slid into the side boards and injured his nose, but after a rest he continued the game.

After the winning tally the game speeded up, and Princeton made several violent attempts to tie the score in that period, but ineffective shooting, a strong defense, and stellar goal guarding kept the visitors scoreless. The period ended in a threatening, whirlwind attack before the Crimson net.

The second session was marked by a noticeable improvement in the Tiger shooting and the corresponding spectacular performances of Bigelow. Van Ger- big and Stout opened the period by carrying the puck down the ice to a close position in the left lane, but the Crimson goal made a neat stop. Several other shots quickly followed, but after a while Walker and Larocque were able to relieve the situation by making a short and ineffective sally to the Princeton end of the rink. At this point the game speeded up, with both teams striving for the aggressive. For a moment it looked like a Princeton score when a hard shot hit the edge of Bigelow's cage, but it bounced back and the visitors were still scoreless.

In the Orange and Black's desperate attempt at a come-back in the third period, a series of penalties were inflicted. After a prolonged and violent scrimmage in neutral territory Van Gerbig and Owen were sent off the ice for tripping. The losses gave neither team an advantage, but a few moments later the Crimson was put in a serious position when Hill and Walker were off the ice at the same. The remaining players rose to the occasion, however, and made an effective stand. When the complete teams were again on the ice the University met the final attack of the Tigers with increasing strength with the result that the Princeton combination was rarely able to threaten.

The summary:

HARVARD  PRINCETONLarocque, Hill, Hammond, r.w.  l.w., StoutWalker, Austin, l.w.  r.w., Van GerbigBeals, c.  c., Davis, ScullOwen, r.d.  l.d., WallCrosby, l.d.  r.d., Scull, JewettBigelow, g.  g., Gleaso