PROF. HUDSON COMMENDS PRESIDENT'S PROPOSAL

Declares in Interview That Step Made by United States to Join in Maintaining Permanent Court of International Justice Is Admirable

"The President's proposal that the United States join in maintaining, the Permanent Court of International Justice is admirable," said Professor M. O. Hudson, S.J.D. '17, of the Law School, in an interview with a CRIMSON reporter. "This action," declared Professor Hudson, "has long been awaited by a large part of the American republic. Instead of being hasty, it is rather delayed. For two years the statute of the Court has been before the American people. We have had ample opportunity to study it. Our verdict has been almost unanimous in its favor. Practically everybody who has written about it has approved the Court. I have yet to see a law journal which would disapprove it. Lawyers in every part of the world have greeted the establishment of the Court with jubilation.

"It is an important fact that the foremost of American international lawyers has accepted a judgeship on the Court and is now sitting at The Hague. He has participated in all four of the opinions which the Court has handed down, and he has been in the concurring majority in each case. The Court is now hearing a dispute about the Kiel canal, and it has handed down an opinion about the nationality laws of Tunis and Morocco within the last month.

"The new Court is a big improvement over the old Hague tribunals. The latter were euphemistically called the Permanent Court of Arbitration, but were in fact only panels. The new Court is in every sense permanent. It is manned by able men, and it promises to inaugurate a real reign of law in the world.

"I sincerely hope", Professor Hudson concluded, "that the Senate will lose no time in agreeing to the admirable proposal laid before it by the President and the Secretary of State."

Professor Hudson contributed an article to the American Journal of International Law for January on "The First Year of the Permanent Court of International Justice."