CHAMELEON COPS

Murder will out. So will the Ku Klux Klan, except that more properly speaking it was the Ku Klux Kops that came out recently in New York. It was a startling discovery for New York to find that thirty of her patrolmen were members of the sheet and pillow-case organization, and were consequently unable to carry out Mayor Hylan's order to run the Klan out of town. There seems to be some doubt whether to consider the thirty Kops as legitimate members of the metropolitan police, and as subject, subject to Mr. Enright's rule: or whether they should be politely admonished and run out themselves, thus making an end of their distressing double lives in the City. The Tribune favors the latter plan, and speaking editorially, says that "it is disquieting to learn that men who wear blue uniforms by day sport white robes and hoods by night". Quite possibly the Tribune means to imply that the New York police force isn't all it should be. Can it be that police forces in other cities aren't all they should be, or are even a little more than they should be in some cases? It might be disquieting to find that some of our own Boston and Cambridge guardians of the law were Kops as well as Cops.