SHOWING THE GOODS

The most inveterate "fan" will stop to examine the posters before entering a moving-picture theatre, but the occasional "movie-goers" exhibit far greater care in their selections. They even peruse the papers to assure themselves of a congenial evening's entertainment, needless to say, their interests differ widely: followers of William S. Hart are bored by a modern "problem play"; advocates of Burton Holmes contemptuously turn up their noses at lovely lingerie, and Mark Sennet enthusiasts fall asleep rather than see a hoop-skirt. Theatre-owners, realizing that it is all a matter of taste, and that the fewer discontented patrons, the better the business, advertise their programs by flaring posters. Hence, it is really one's own fault if he sees a moving picture that doesn't appeal to him. Furthermore, a man who has chosen the wrong theatre is there for only one evening; and, if he so desires, he can leave without hindrance.

But a man who has picked the wrong field of concentration, besides being in an unpleasant situation, must go through considerable annoyance in extracting himself. A leaf has now been taken from the theatre owner's book, which promises greatly to reduce the number of misfits.

Through the kindness of several members of the Faculty, fourteen articles are being written to serve as a guide in selecting fields of concentration. Each of the important departments will be carefully covered. The writers are representative men, chosen for their knowledge of their subjects and because they are well-known to Freshmen. They will deal unofficially with the problems which face men in the choice of their fields, and each will explain what the student may expect who elects the writer's particular subject.

The CRIMSON is aware, in presenting these articles, that they are not a complete answer to the riddle of Concentration. It merely hopes, by offering this practical and unofficial advice, to eliminate some of the trivial reasons that often decide a student's choice. It will no longer be necessary for the Freshman to decide on Chemistry merely because be likes to potter about in he laboratory, on Mathematics because it has no Divisionals, or on English because it seems nearest home. The articles will try to give the reader an authentic idea of the field for which he is best fitted. As an Oriental might say. "The venders of the fruits of knowledge display their wares. Let each choose carefully, using both his eyes."