TO DISCUSS GROWTH OF MODERN MAGAZINE

Upbuilding of Large Circulations Will be Described--To Show Circumstances Governing Advertising Prices

"Why is a Magazine?" is the subject of the third lecture in the series on advertising talks, which will be given tonight at 8 o'clock in the CRIMSON sanctum by Mr. Melville H. Smith '03. Mr. Smith is the New England manager for the Curtis Publishing Company, publishers of the Saturday Evening Post, the Ladies' Home Journal and The Country Gentleman.

Tonight's discussion will outline the conditions of public demand which give rise to the publication of national magazines and their upbuilding to large circulation; the circumstances which govern the price of advertising in such magazines, and the habits of trading and living which make possible a high return on a large investment of advertising money in a magazine.

The Ladies' Home Journal, as an illustration of the size of the investment, has more than once carried in a single issue advertising exceeding a cost of one million dollars. The dollars invested in a single page in the Saturday Evening Post are always the subject of fascinated comment. Mr. Smith, who since his graduation from the University has been associated with the Curtis Publishing Company's New England office, is in a peculiarly authoritative position to speak of the growth of advertising and the place of the magazine in the field.

The lecture is the third in a series of informal talks on the general subject of advertising under the auspices of the CRIMSON and the Lampoon, and is open to all members of the University. The supervision of the series is in the hands of Mr. P. M. Hollister '13.

The-fourth meeting will take place next Tuesday at the same time and place, with Mr. Heyworth Campbell, art director of Vogue, Vanity Fair, and House and Garden as the speaker.