DEALING IN FUTURES

Like Sisyphus, who never quite arrived, too many men find themselves after years of exacting work, wondering why they chose their occupations as they did. Usually, the answer is that they did not choose. They happened in to whatever was most convenient, or seemed easiest, or appeared to pay most. And this acceptance of what the Gods may send in general. Even at this late hour, probably half of the Seniors do not know what they really want to do for the rest of their lives. Even students in the graduate schools have not necessarily committed themselves yet: often the Law School, for example, is merely a makeshift to postpone the final decision. Those who are still undecided, should feel the urgency of choosing with their eyes open. For after several tries, it may be too late to accomplish anything. Or as is often the case, one discovers it increasingly difficult to break away from an unattractive business and start afresh.

To practically everyone, then, the series of lectures beginning at the Union will be of immense value. Tonight, the student interested in engineering will be shown what his rewards will be, what satisfaction he should get from his work. Even those who have contemplated other fields may find their conceptions quite wrong. And Freshmen especially will find the lectures helpful in shaping their courses intelligently. With their fields of concentration yet in doubt, and three whole years before them, they are in a position to benefit still more than the upper classmen.

Of equal importance are the personal conferences, which may be arranged merely by signing a blue-book, with some of the foremost men in the various professions. They will be informal, and designed to allow the experts to find the particular problem of each student, and advise him accordingly. Contact with these leaders, whose sole object is to guide men to the most congenial outlets for their individual talents, may well save years of undirected groping. The whole effort is being made to help men get started in work they will always enjoy to prevent the wastage and the bitterness which result from a misguided or unguided choice.

In the end, one must decide for one self. But selecting an apple from the sideboard is far different from feeling for one in the bottom of a barrel. When a man understands the merits and peculiarities of several professions, he may decide which he considers most suitable for himself. If he lacks this information, he cannot be said to decide. His occupation becomes a matter of chance. And Fortune, they say is blind.