SECOND TALK ON RADIO TO BE GIVEN APRIL 5

JOINT MEETING WITH THREE CLUBS SET FOR MARCH 29

On Thursday, April 5, at 8 o'clock, Mr. E. B. Dallin '16 will speak in the main lecture room of the Cruft High Tension Laboratory on "Radio Frequency Amplification", at the first of a series of open meetings to be held by the Wireless Club. The talk, which will be illustrated by apparatus and demonstrations, will be practical and non-technical in character, and is aimed primarily to help men, interested in radio, who wish to learn about radio reception sets incorporating this type of circuit. It is meant to expand, in one particular field, other general lectures on radio given recently by Professor G. W. Pierce '99 at the New Lecture Hall.

Mr. Dallin has had much experience in radio work, especially with amplifiers of all types. During the war he was an ensign in the Navy and did research work on hydrophones with Professor Pierce at New London. He was then receiving engineer with the Radio Corporation of America and later did research work for Mr. John Hays Hammond on radio controlled torpedoes. A great deal of this work was carried on at the Cruft Laboratory. He is now with the Acme Apparatus Company of Cambridge and is the designer of their Radio frequency transformer.

On March 29 the Wireless Club will have a joint meeting with the Boston section of the Institute of Radio Engineers, the Technology Radio Society, and the C. W. Club of Boston. Mr. W. C. Club of Boston. Mr. W. C. White of the General Electric Company is to speak on some phase of vacuum tube work at this meeting, which will be held in Room 5-330, Pratt Naval Architecture Building, M. I. T., at 8 o'clock. The lecture will be preceded by motion pictures, probably a short comedy.

With a new watt tube transmitting set installed, progress at the University station has been very satisfactory. Within the present week, the station has communicated with other experimental stations as far west as Minnesota and as far south as Atlanta, Georgia. A considerable number of messages are being handled every night, both from and to the University, as well as relayed messages. From 7 o'clock, until 10 o'clock every evening the receiving set can be used for broadcast reception.

The station is still short of operators and the officers are very anxious that any members of the University holding licenses, who would like to operate the set send their names to the secretary, N. K. Fairbank, 13 Claverly Hall, as soon as possible. Men not holding licenses are not allowed to use the transmitting apparatus but, by becoming members of the club, may operate the receiving set.