BACK OF THE BALLOT

Few questionnaires have brought a more valuable reflection of public opinion than one recently sent by the New York Times to prominent educators of the country. The replies were unanimous in asserting that "the school must satisfy our greatest need", which is "for better citizens".

Though chiefly concerned with primary and secondary schools their suggestion applies equally well to colleges. Last fall there was a movement to introduce "civics" or practical politics into the universities, and at that time Williams and Dartmouth started such courses. A few days ago Columba announced the first lecture in its course "Practical Politics", in which leaders of both parties, and other men actively engaged in politics are to be lecturers. An attempt will be made to "introduce the student to the realities of political life". The machinery of political clubs, district leadership and legislation will be carefully studied.

Last fall the Alumni Bulletin recommended such a course on "American Citizenship" for the University. It would give a cross-section from several fields; including history, government and economics, picking from each that part most valuable to the American voter. It might unify some now rather sharply separated subjects and would perhaps aid in preparation for divisionals. To make it easily available for students in all departments, the course could be counted for the history requirement in Distribution. Neither Government 1 nor History 33 completely covers the ground of such a course. With the finger of President Eliot pointing to the need for such practical training, and with the training actually being given at several universities, its introduction here may well be considered. Whatever a college graduate "does for a living" he should be a voter, and if such a course would do no more than to send him to the polls it would have its excuse for being.