GENRAL ORDERS NO. 2

the tone of General Pershing's most recent instructions to the army bears an encouraging resemblance to the new spirit in college education; their characteristic is a more liberal viewpoint. Just as the colleges are departing from the tradition of rigidity, with prescribed courses and emphasis on studies, and turning to the encouragement of a cultivated youth interested in sports, so General Pershing's orders urge less the monotonous routine of the barrack and drill-field, and more the development of a soldier intelligent, skilled, and athletic.

Rather than the perfection of such arts as the hand-salute, he advises a broader foundation, with instruction in horsemanship, communication, and tactics. To prevent stagnation, and to maintain interest, greater rotation of duties is suggested. Then he specifically warns against usurpation by officers of the responsibilities of subordinates. Finally, sports are encouraged;--and here again the influence of recent tendencies appears--for instead of limitation to perfected teams, participation by all is deemed preferable.

The report is sure to be encouraging to the citizen who has just seen the army reduced, buffeted, and shoved from the public eye as of no further importance. Without keen supervision from high officers, retrogression would have been unavoidable, At any peace-time period an army machine is extremely susceptible to rust; now, with numbers insufficient to maintain all barracks, and appropriations pared, prospects for efficiency are gloomy, General Pershing, however, attacks directly and offers remedies for the evils that beset all army while inactive--to prevent classification in take job he urges periodic changes of work; to prevent dependence on orders from above he forbids assumption of any duties unless peculiar to the office. With a man at the head who is willing to adopt new theories and attack old dangers, it can be hoped that our army, though small, will be fit to withstand the shock of sudden activity ad expansion if need arise.