DR. HOWE TO RESIGN POSITION NEXT FALL

Game to University From Middlesex in 1920--Was. Appointed Director of Rowing in January, 1922.

The position of General Supervisor of Rowing at the University will become vacant next fall owing to the announcement that Dr. R. Heber Howe Jr. '01 is to take up his duties in the autumn as headmaster of the Belmont Hill School--a country day school for boys in Belmont, Mass.

This plan has been known to the Committee on the Regulation of Athletic Sports for some time, but no steps have yet been taken to provide for the carrying on of his work as Rowing Director in 1923-24. The step will necessarily involve a severance of official connection with University crew work, but Dr. Howe will continue next autumn his interest in the organization of Harvard rowing in the development of which he has played such a conspicuous part. Dr. Howe will continue his duties for the remainder of this year as head of the University, crew organization.

Coming to the University from Middlesex School in 1920, Dr. Howe succeeded in developing an unusually fast Freshman eight in the spring of 1921. This crew holds the record for the basin course of one and seven-eighths miles.

It was with his appointment as Director of Rowing in January 1922, however, that Dr. Howe's real services to the University began to be felt. In addition to personally coaching both the two University crews and the first Freshman eight, he took up the work of crew organization and is largely responsible for the present system of rowing.

This spring will in all probability furnish the climax to an interest in rowing unequalled in the history of the University. Under Dr. Howe's supervision 682 men rowed on the Charles last Spring and the probabilities are that this Spring will show an increase over these figures.