CREWS IN OPEN WATER AS RIVER CLEARS OF ICE

COACH BERT HAINES TAKES OUT SEVEN FRESHMAN BOATS

Twelve University and class crews rowed yesterday on the river, which is rapidly clearing of ice. The last remnant of ice in front of the Newell boat house was broken up in the early afternoon so that the four University crews, five class crews, and three 150-pound eights were able to go out.

The first two crews to row, C and D, went as far as the Cottage Farm Bridge, but later in the afternoon the lower river was blocked with floating ice and no other crews went past the Western Avenue Bridge. The seating in all cases remained as in the past week.

The class crews on the river were the first Senior and first Junior eights, and Sophomore A, B, and C. Combinations 1 and 2 and the first 1925 boat were the 150-pound crews out.

Seven Freshman eights took to the water during the afternoon, including the first 150-pound crew. The others were the first experienced football material, and the first inexperienced football material, both of which rowed the day before yesterday, and four crews of autumn crew material. Coach Bert Halues coached the regular Freshman crews, following then in a single