CRIMSON CANDIDATES TO REPORT IN STANDISH AT 7

MR. E. R. GAY '19 AND MR. FIFIELD WORKUM '20 TO SPEAK

Although actual work for the news department of the CRIMSON does not start until tomorrow night, all Freshmen who intend to enter the competition are expected to report at the meeting tonight in the Standish Hall Common Room at 7 o'clock. Members of the class of 1926 who plan to try for the business department will also report at this time, and after the meeting is over will be permitted to attend the talk on advertising in the CRIMSON Sanctum.

Mr. Fifield Workum '20, a former president of the CRIMSON, and Mr. E. R. Gay '19, Assistant Dean of Harvard College, will address the meeting tonight. The other speakers will be the managing editor and business manager of the CRIMSON, who will describe the general work of the paper, as well as the details of the competitions. The speakers will be introduced by the president of the CRIMSON. The meeting is open to all men interested in journalistic work and attendance does not entail any obligation to come out for the CRIMSON.

The length of the news competition will be eight weeks, coming to a close on May 29. This is three weeks less than the usual length, the competition being shortened this year in order to give men ample opportunity to study for the final examinations. Work in the news department gives a chance, especially for Freshmen, to become acquainted with the many phases of activity in the University and the leaders of these activities. Also, the candidates will be expected to secure special articles and interviews from prominent members of the Faculty and public men visiting Boston, thus having an opportunity to meet many of the interesting men in this vicinity. During the spring season a large part of the news work is in covering athletics.

Training for Business Candidates

Men working in the business department will become initiated in the methods of business of daily papers. The largest part of their work will consist of soliciting advertisements for the paper, with a small amount of office work. This competition offers valuable experience in meeting business men in and around Boston, and in obtaining advertisements.

Both of the competitions are open only to Freshmen and are the last chance which members of the class of 1926 have to make the CRIMSON board in their first year. In neither department will any work be required during the spring vacation.