THREE FRESHMAN RED BOOK COMPETITIONS UNDER WAY

Fifty-Five Editorial Candidates Report--First Cut to Come Friday--Highest Competitors to Be Sub-Chairmen

The competitions for the Editorial, Photographic, and Arts and Cuts departments of the Freshman Red Book were started with meetings of the candidates in the rooms of the department chairmen yesterday.

Fifty-five men answered the call for editorial candidates, of, which ten will be retained on the board at the end of the competition. Assignments for write-ups were given by the chairman, to be handed in on Friday, when the first cut in the competition will be made.

Only nine candidates reported at the first meeting of the Photographic Department. The photographic chairman has announced that men who were unable to come to the meeting yesterday may report tonight at 6.30 o'clock in Persis Smith B 32. Ten men will be taken onto the board after a six weeks competition. The chairman announced that candidates will not be required to provide cameras or to take photographs themselves.

The arts and cuts chairman announced that any men desiring to compete who were unable to enter the competition yesterday might do so tonight.

It was decided at a meeting of the Executive Committee of the class to award the highest competitor in each department with a sub-chairmanship.