PROSPECTS UNUSUALLY BRIGHT AS TRACK MEN PREPARE FOR SEASON

PAST WORK FORECASTS WINNING SEASON FOR FRESHMEN

The University track team faces a season this year which should be one of more than average success. Only eight men from the team which last year triumphed over Yale by the score of 70 13-15 to 64 2-15, have left college because of graduation, and a great deal of new material, mostly from last year's Freshman team, is available. Coach Martin is pleased with the showing of the men who have been doing winter track work, and feels confident that the team will make rapid improvement this spring.

In the dashes the material is relatively scare. Vinton Chapin '23, who did some excellent running during his Sophomore year but who was out all last season because of an injury, is again in good condition. Another sprinter, R. F. Howard '24, who left college a year ago, has returned and is expected to show up well this spring. J. S. Murphy '25, one of last year's Freshman squad, will also run in these events.

J. E. Kennedy '24, who will run in the 220-yard dash, will also compete in the 440. Among the other men in the quarter-mile are J. E. Merrill '24, who ran this distance in 51 3-5 seconds at the Meadowbrook games this winter, and will undoubtedly be able to lower this time outdoors; A. H. Gordon '23 and T. J. Curtis '23.

Captain Burke to Run in 880

In the 880-yard run, Captain J. W. Burke '23 is the outstanding possibility. Last spring Burke won both the half-mile and the mile races in the Yale meets, and this winter he has been doing notable work. Campbell Newhall '24, who placed third in the half-mile last year against Yale, may also be able to take part.

Beside Captain Burke in the mile, J. H. Sherburne '24 and perhaps B. R. Cutcheon '25 will be available. Sherburne, although not a runner of long experience, has given evidence of great speed. In the Freshman meet with Yale last year Cutcheon won the mile race in 4 minutes 30 3-5 seconds.

In the two-mile event, the University will be represented by two good runners. The first of these, E. G. Lund '23, is an experienced distance men, and won third place in the event against Yale last year. W. L. Chapin '25, the other outstanding two-miler, won that event last year in the Yale Freshman meet, and has also done some excellent cross-country running in the last two seasons.

Crimson Strong in Hurdle Events

The track team is especially strong in the hurdle events. C. R. Hauers '23, who placed second in both the high and low hurdles against Yale last year and who won the high hurdles at the intercollegiates in 15 3-10 seconds, is the most experienced contender. Another dependable man in these events is Jefferson Fletcher '25, who placed second in both the high and the low hurdles against the Yale Freshmen last year.

In the shot put C. A. C. Eastman '24, who without any previous experience has been doing well this winter and who won the event in the triangular meet with Cornell and Dartmouth, is considered a certain point winner. H. T. Dunker '25, who placed second in the Yale Freshman meet last year, is also expected to show up well. L. K. Marshall '23, who will compete in the hammer throw, placed third in the Yale meet last year with a distance of 133 feet 2 1-4 inches, has been getting greater distances this year.

The chief contestants in the javelin throw are R. M. C. Greenidge 3E.S. who won the event last year against Yale with the distance of 161 feet 11 1-2 inches, and S. W. Leck 4E.S. In the discuss C. C. Carpenter '24, second place winner in last year's Yale meet, and W. V. Miller '23, who placed third in the intercollegiates, are the most promising material.

Among the high jumpers, R. L. Hyatt '24, a former University of Southern California student; R. D. Gerould '24, who tied for first place against Yale last year and Malcolm Morse '24 are the outstanding candidates. Percy Jenkins '24, R. F. Thayer '24, and J. S. Murphy '25, are the most experienced broad jumpers. In the pole vault H. R. Davis '23 and D. D. Reidy Jr. '23 are both letter men, and are counted upon to score for the University.

The Freshman track material is the best which has come to the University for many years. During the winter season the 1926 relay team set up a record with no defeats and a notable victory in the Meadowbrook games. The team was composed of W. R. Chase, J. H. Broome, R. G. Allen, last year's Andover captain, and J. P. Kane. All of these men are expected to do some good running this spring.