WORK OF UNIVERSITY PRESS IS SUMMARIZED

Four Books Now Being Printed to Appear in Spring--Complete List of Volumes Given

From the beginning of the academic year through the first semester the University Press has published in addition to the official University publications, 18 books. The record of output this year has not been broken as the Press published the same number of books during 1921-22. An unusual thing has happened this year in that five of the books printed since September 1, 1922 have either already been reprinted or will be before the middle of April. The usual length of time for University Press publications to run into second editions has been two years. The reason offered by the Press for this year's unprecedented occurence is the more general appeal of the reading matter to the public and the greater attractiveness in the binding.

Books Which Have Appealed

Three of the books that have been especially popular with the public are "Public Opinion in War and Peace" by President Lowell, which is an analysis of modern society; "Memoirs of the Harvard Dead in the War Against Germany" by Mark Antony DeW. Howe '87, which contains the biographies of Harvard men who fell in the Great War from April 7 to August 4, 1918; "Argonauts of '49" by Octavious Thorndike Howe '73, which tells of the thrilling experience of a company of Massachusetts gold-seekers who went around the Horn 75 years ago.

Complete List of Books Given

Following is the complete list printed in chronological sequence, of the books published by the University Press since the beginning of the year.

Zenas C. Dickinson: Economic Motives. A summary of psychology for the use of economists and a re-examination of economic doctrines from the point of view of psychological analysis.

Daniel Berkeley Updike: Printing Types; Their History, Forms, and Use. Now in its second printing, this great history of topography has been immediately and enthusiastically hailed by experts everywhere as the finest work in its field.

Raymond D. Havens G. '08: The Influence of Milton. An examination of the life and work of Milton that can be compared only to David Masson's monumental labors in another part of the same field.

Francis Bowes Sayre, Law '12: Cases on Labor Law. A text book for American law schools, which has in addition much appeal to all who are interested in the legal aspects of the labor question.

Paull Franklin Baum G. '12: The Principles of English Versification. A new consideration of English verse-writ- ing on the basis of recent psychological theories of rhythm and harmony.

Maurice De Wulf: Mediaeval Philosophy. A summary of Thomism by the leading authority on this subject a professor at Louvain and Harvard.

Felix Frankfurter, Law '06: Cases on Interstate Commerce. The second, revised edition of a text-book for law-schools.

William Henry Robey, Med. '95: The Causes of Heart Failure. Like other volumes in the Harvard Health Talks, this is a popular account of the disease with suggestions for prevention and assistance to the physician.

Harvard Studies in Classical Philology, volume 33. The annual issue.

Joseph Beale: Cases on Taxation. A text book for law schools.

Joseph Vincent Fuller '14: Bismarck's Diplomacy at its Zenith. Based on the latest German official publications, this study covers the years 1886 and 1887, a crucial period in modern European history.

Albert Andrew Howard and Carl Newell Jackson: Index Verborum C. Svetoni Tranqvilli. An index to the works of Suetonius, a Latin writer of the second century.

Mark Antony DeWolfe Howe '87: Memoirs of the Harvard Dead in the War Against Germany, Volume 3. Biographies of the Harvard men who fell in the Great War between April 7 and August 4, 1918.

Abbott Lawrence Lowell '77: Public Opinion in War and Peace. A penetrating analysis of modern society by the President of Harvard University.

Carl Gordon Cutler and Stephen Coburn Pepper '13: Modern Color. An account of a method of painting originated by Mr. Cutler and in successful use by a number of American artists.

Octavius Thorndike Howe '73: Argonauts of 49. A thrilling account of the Companies of Massachusetts gold-seekers who went round the Horn seventy-five years ago; Illustrated with pictures of old sailing vessels.

George Saltonstall Mumford '87: Twenty Harvard Crews. An account, by an old Harvard oarsman, of the Harvard Crews between 1882 and 1901, with many illustrations and sidelights on the art of rowing in general:

Emile Legouis: Wordsworth in a New Light. A re-examination of the great poet's character and work in the light of recent discoveries regarding his youthful days in France.

The Press is now printing four books which will appear in the following order this spring.

Saul Drucker and Morris B. Hexter: Children Astray. A study of cases of juvenile delinquency successfully handled in an Orphanage. Introduction by Richard C. Cabot '89.

Percy H. Houston G. '05.: Dr. Johnson, a Study in 18th Century Humanism. Dr. Johnson's life and work studied from an unusual point of view.

S. F. Batchelder '93; Bits of Harvard History. Entertaining essays on old days and old ways at Harvard College profusely illustrated.

Edward D. Snyder G. '11: The Celtic Revival in English Literature 1760-1800. A study of a movement among eighteenth-century English men of letters who were united by a common desire to infuse into English poetry the mythology, the history, and the literary treasures of the ancient Celts