VARIETIES

The figurative "Calendar for Today" discloses a versatile program. Hockey reaches its climax in the second game with Yale; the track team has its share in the Intercollegiates in New York; the minor sports are represented by the Gym Team's meet against Yale; and two other competitive activities make interesting contributions.

At the Arena, the team's success against Princeton and the importance of tonight's game in deciding the triangular title have been sufficient attraction to fill the seating capacity and leave such celebrities as an ex-mayor of Boston in the waiting-line. Twenty three years ago, appeals were being made to encourage this struggling minor sport; today the enthusiasm is arouses is second only to football.

Yet there is another contest that calls for almost equal interest. The Glee Club's successive victories in the intercollegiate competitions have gradually raised the standard of college singing until the University's supremacy is seriously in doubt. The verdict of the judges in New York tonight will be almost as good news-matter as the hockey score.

At Poughkeepsie still another contest is to be hotly waged. The Freshman Debating Team is meeting the Vassar contingent on the moot subject of the Allied debt. But there the question of victory is less important for what can one expect? The verdict, in the English manner, is left at the mercy of the audience; unless the debate is waged in a darkened hall, or each member of the audience required to wear blinders, the verdict is pre-determined.

But when one day shows a program in which major parts are rivalled by non-athletic competitions, the ideal of diversified interests, each with its proper emphasis, seems decidedly nearer.