RICHARDS AND WEARN WIN BOYLSTON MEDICAL PRIZE

Professor Richards and Dr. Wearn Submit Winning Essay on Kidney Functions--Are Both Teaching at University of Pennsylvania Medical School

The public competition for the Boylston Medical Prize of $300, offered every other year by the Medical School for the best essay on a subject in medical science, has been won by Professor A. N. Richards and Dr. J. T. Wearn of the University of Pennsylvania.

Professor Richards is at the head of the department of pharmacology in the Medical School of the University of Pennsylvania. Dr. Wearn, one of his assistants, received his M.D. degree from Harvard in 1917. He has been working at the University of Pennsylvania for the past two years.

The winning essay by Professor Richards and Dr. Wearn sets forth the results of some original investigations on kidney function, and was selected for the award of the Boylston Prize on account of its value in cleaning up many of the uncertainties, in regard to this subject. The essay was entitled, "Observation on the composition of the Glomerular Urine with Particular Reference to the Problem of Reabsorption in the Renal Tubules."