ANY OLD BOOKS?

The word "drive" usually has a connotation that makes most people shrink into the smallest possible corner at its mention. But the drive for books by the American Merchant Marine Library Association is one that neither calls for disappearance nor, on being caught, the donation of "as much as you think you can afford, for this most worthy cause" The Association asks for books,--old, new, good, bad, or high-brow. Anything seems to please them so long as it has a cover and a printed interior.

The establishment of the American Merchant Marine Library Association was a direct outgrowth of the War, when books were collected from all parts of the country for use of both soldiers and sailors abroad and in training camps. The Association aims to establish and maintain libraries on board every ship in the American Merchant Marine. For this purpose the people of Massachusetts are asked to contribute 100,000 books to replenish the store from which these libraries are furnished, and to fill the boxes of books being sent to each outgoing ship. The committee suggests that reading on board ship is as important for the professional sailor as it is for the casual traveller. The present-day lack of pirates and mermaids leaves reading as almost the only amusement of seamen in idle moments.

Through Phillips Brooks House the University has been asked to help in this collection. Second hand books do not bring such a big price that the donation of the excess volumes in anyone's library will be a great financial sacrifice. Those who enjoy the sensation of having played the good Samaritan as well as those who want to make the "life on the rolling wave" a little jollier will achieve their ambitions by giving to the Association any reading matter which they may have outgrown. At the same time, the collectors will take old clothing for the semi-annual Phillips Brooks House collection, so that when June and packing-time comes round closets may be empty of all superfluities.