SCIENCE COURSE TO BE COMPREHENSIVE

Will Deal Briefly With Solar System Stellar Universe and Organic Evolution--Four Professors in Charge

Next year a new full science course will be offered by the Faculty of Arts and Sciences which will be open to all students in the College. This course will be called Biology 1, and will to a large extent cover the field which the two half-courses, which will be discontinued after this year, Zoology 1 and Botany 1, have together occupied in the past.

The subject matter of the course will be living things and their environment, the treatment including briefly a consideration of the stellar universe, the solar system, and the earth as a habitation for life, as well as the detailed study of plants and animals. Because of the availability of living specimens in the fall, the Zoology of the course will first be taken up and will be followed in natural sequence by Astronomy, Geology and Botany.

Four Men to Conduct Course

Although there will be occasional lectures by outside speakers, four men will be principally connected with the conduct of the course. Professor G. H. Parker '87, professor of Zoology and director of the Zoological laboratory, will give the first part of the work, and will be followed by Professor Harlow Shapley, Paine Professor of Practical Astronomy and director of the College Observatory. Instruction in geology will be given by Professor R. A. Daly '93, Sturgis-Hooper Professor of Geology, the final phase of the course being given under the charge of Professor W. J. V. Osterhout, of the Department of Botany.

The meetings of the course will be held at the same hour at which those of Zoology 1 and Botany 1 were held this year, that is Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday at 10 o'clock. A laboratory exercise once a week will be included, but it will deal entirely with the zoological and botanical elements of the course, and will not touch the fields of astronomy and geology.