TO REVOLUTIONIZE PRINCETON COURSE

Terms Change Greatest 'Intellectual Step Forward'--Welcomes Death of Paternalism and Advent of Individualism

PRINCETON, N. J., April 12.--A substantial reduction in the number of courses required in the Junior and Senior years, and a replacement of this work by independent study to be tested by comprehensive examinations at the end of each of the last two years in college, are the essential features of the plan which the Board of Trustees passed today and which will revolutionize the upper class course of study. In making the changes in the curriculum the Board, acting upon the recommendation of the Faculty, approved the system by which "emphasis will be laid upon the importance of concentration in a field of study and in the development of the principle of self education by the students themselves".

The new arrangement of studies, which will take effect next fall, reduces the number of required courses in each of the upper class years from five to four, and provides that two of this number shall be in the same department and be considered major courses, while the other two shall be in any other departments and be known as minor courses. To take the place of this reduction in the required studies, Juniors and Seniors will do independent work in the field of the major courses. This outside work will not be the usual collateral reading done in conection with particular courses, but will consist of special reading or laboratory work not elsewhere treated in the major study field. Although this work will not be covered by any regular exercises, the students will confer periodically concerning it with their preceptors. At the end of the Junior year will come a comprehensive examination in the field of major study, and at the close of the Senior year; a similar test will be given covering the work done in the major study during the two year period. Before being granted a degree, however, candidates will be required to pass their comprehensive examinations with a grade substantially higher than the passing mark formerly demanded for credit in a course.

"An Intellectual Step Forward"

The Daily Princetonian, in its editorial comment tomorrow, will say; "Never in all its cultural history has Princeton taken such an intellectual step forward. The day of benevolent despotism fades into the background: from now on the compelling force will be individuality".

In his announcement of the new plan. President Hibben issued the following statement: "In this way it is hoped that our undergraduates not only will store their minds with new knowledge of their own searching but also, because of the independent character of their work, will acquire a fruitful method of investigation. We hope that they will feel the inspiration of a great subject and that their efforts will be sided by the law of the reciprocal relation between initial interest and knowledge, which operates in every intellectual endeavor, namely that with initial interest there comes knowledge, and with that increase of knowledge there comes increase of interest".