BYRNE TO DISCUSS LAW AS PROFESSION

Speaks at 8 Tonight in Union Living Room--Is President of Bar Association of City of New York

Mr. James Byrne '77, a lawyer in New York City, will speak tonight at 8 o'clock in the Living Room of the Union on the subject, "Law and Public Service". The lecture by Mr. Byrne will be the fourth of a series of vocational talks which the Union has been conducting in cooperation with a committee of members of the University Faculty of the graduate body and of the undergraduates. The committee aims to help students in their decision concerning work after graduation.

In his talk tonight, Mr. Byrne will speak of the opportunities in the legal profession, and will discuss the qualifications needed by men entering into this kind of work, but will not make any attempt to argue for or against his own vocation. As has been done at the previous lectures, an opportunity will be given immediately after tonight's talk for men to ask questions from the floor.

Arrangements are being made for men especially interested in law to obtain personal interviews with men of high standing in the legal profession. Definite plans have been made for only three men to hold conferences, but an announcement will be made tonight or tomorrow morning of the results of the committee's attempt to secure several additional men. Students may sign up for the conferences in a blue book at the desk in the Main Reading Room of Widener Library. The interviews which have been already arranged will be held in the Quiet Room of the Union tomorrow afternoon. From 12 to 1.30 o'clock Dean Roscoe Pound Hon. '20 will meet men wishing to see him, while from 2 to 4 o'clock Mr. R. W. Hale '92 and Mr. J. J. Maguire '11, both of the Boston law firm of Hale and Dorr, will held conferences.

Mr. Byrne, who since his graduation from the University Law School in 1882 has been practicing in New York City, is a Fellow of Harvard College a regent of the University of the State of New York, and the president of the Bar Association of the City of New York.