VETERAN OF 47 YEARS SERVICE WILL SPEAK

Lecture Open Only to Union Members and Guests--Guest Cards Procurable Before 5 o'Clock This Afternoon

Naval development from the Revolutionary frigates and sloops-of-war to the modern dreadnaughts, submarines, and speedy destroyers will be discussed by Admiral W. S. Benson in his lecture on "The American Navy" at 8 o'clock this evening in the Living Room of the Union. It has been announced that the lecture will be open only to Union members and their guests, for whom guest cards may be secured at the Manager's office before 5 o'clock this afternoon.

In addition to describing the various types of vessels used by the navy, Admiral Benson will recite some of his personal experiences before and during the war.

Admiral Benson had a record of 47 years of active service when he was retired in accordance with naval regulations in 1919. Graduated in 1877 from the United States Naval Academy at the age of 22, he became an ensign in 1881. His promotion was steady, and at the outbreak of war with Germany he was chief of naval operations with the rank of rear-admiral. He made two trips to Europe during the war as a member of special commissions and in 1919 was the naval representative in drawing up the naval terms of the armistice with Germany, and was navel advisor to the American Commission to Negotiate Peace.

After his retirement Admiral Benson was recommended to Congress by the President to be made a permanent admiral for life. In 1920 he was made chairman of the United States Shipping Board and the next year was appointed a commissioner on the Shipping Board by President Harding.

Admiral Benson was awarded the Distinguished Service Medal in 1919 and has also been decorated by France, England, and Japan. He received the Grand Cross of the Legion of Honor from France and the Order of St. Gregory the Great from Pope Benedict XV.