FAST TEAMS FROM EAST AND WEST ENTER RELAYS

Oxford Runners May Shine in Crowded Field-More Than 450 Institutions Send Squads to Franklin Field

The twenty-ninth Annual Relay Race Carnival of the University of Pennsylvania, in which 15 Crimson track men will compete tomorrow and Saturday, will again be very large, both in the number of entries and in the extent of the interest which has been aroused in it. More than 450 institutions have entered, the events, thus exceeding last year's list of 425. The entries include squads from more than 80 colleges drawn from all parts of the United States, and also, in the feature two mile championship relay, a team from Oxford University, England.

In 1914, when an Oxford four mile team won a sensational race by a few inches, and in 1920, when a combined Oxford-Cambridge team appeared in a two mile relay, the English runners established a reputation which has caused many track critics to doubt whether any American colleges can furnish teams strong enough to keep the title from the invaders. Among the Eastern colleges the strongest contenders in the two mile relay are Cornoll Georgetown, and Yale, while from the West will come fast teams from Kansas and Chicago. The program for the Carnival includes as well as relay racos, many other track and field events, and the crowd which it attracts will probably overflow the new Pennsylvania Stadium, which seats 40,000. The list of relay events contains several college and scholastic championships, in addition to a very large number of other collegiate and preparatory school races.

Sprint Relay Team Leaves Today

The University medley sprint relay team, composed of Captain Burke, Chapin, Merrill and Fletcher, and the Crimson entrant in the hammer throw. Marshall, will leave today for Philadelphia with Coach Martin and Manager Chandler, since their events come tomorrow on the first day of the meet. The other University entrants, whose contests come on Saturday, will leave tomorrow afternoon.