ONE HIT AND THREE RUNS DEFEAT BATES

Crimson Wins on Erratic Work of Price-Young Permits No Bates Runner to Get Beyond Second Base

Despite the fact that winter weather put the northern team in its element the University baseball nine triumphed over Bates College 3 to 0 yesterday afternoon on Soldiers Field. It is difficult to decide whether the batters were frozen by the cold, which was intense, or confounded by the pitching, which was on the whole excellent. The game was called in the eighth inning with only four hits scored, three of which went to the credit of the visitors, the University's only contribution being offered in the third by Owen. Both teams did well in the field, Bates surprisingly so for a team that has only been outdoors for eleven days.

The first of the University's hitless runs came in the second inning when Hammond was walked, advanced to second by Hill, who made first on an error by the pitcher, was forced to third when Thayer was walked, and came comfortably home when the third baseman threw the ball at the press stand instead of to the catcher. Larrabee came up and knocked an infield fly to the pitcher. It looked as if the University was to check up a few more runs when Young reached first, filling the bases, but Price steadied beautifully and put out the next two men with little difficulty.

Two more unique runs were tallied in the fifth in which batting played only a minor part. Gordon was walked and advanced to second by Jenkins, who reached first on an error by the pitcher; a double steal put the two runners on second and third and a wild pitch brought them home.

The Bates pitching in spite of the fact that it held the University to one hit was erratic. Price passed six men and made four errors which were only partly

atoned by the fact that he fanned six. Crimson batters and caught Clark asleep at first base. Young was at his best, striking six men, giving no bases on balls and not allowing any runner to get beyond second.

The summary:

Harvard  a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e.Clark, c.f.  3  0  0  2  0  0Gordon, l.f.  2  1  0  2  0  0Jenkins, s.s.  4  1  0  2  1  1Owen, 1b.  3  0  1  9  0  0Hammond,2b.  2  1  0  2  5  0F. S. Hill, 3d.  3  0  0  2  2  0Thayer, r.f.  1  0  0  1  0  0Larrabee, c.  3  0  0  3  0  0Young, p.  3  0  0  1  1  0Total,  30  3  1  2  4  9  1Bates  a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e.Cognan, s.s.  4  0  1  1  1  0Jordan, 1b.  3  0  1  5  0  0Kenelly, c.f.  3  0  0  3  0  0Daker, 3d.  3  0  1  2  0  1 Davis, r.f  3  0  0  1  0  0Dimlich, 2b.  3  0  0  1  0  0Rowe, l.f.  3  0  0  0  0  0Moulton, c.  2  0  0  5  1  0 Price, p.  3  0  0  1  1  4Karlros, c.  1  0  0  2  0  0Total  28  0  3  21  3