FOUR UNIVERSITY FIELD EVENT MEN WIN PLACES

EASTMAN, GREENIDGE, CARPENTER AND MILLER PLACE

Four University field event men gained places in the Penn Relays on Saturday afternoon, while the Freshman relay team, running the best race it has ever travelled, lost the mile event to Yale 1926 by a foot. The sprint medley team, which ran an excellent race on Friday, was out of its place in the 880-yard distance it attempted Saturday, and trailed badly. In the feature race of the day, the two-mile relay championship, a Penn State quartet established a new world's record for the distance in beating Oxford, the time being 7 minutes 48 4-5 seconds, 4-5 of a second less than the old record which was set up by Pennsylvania at the Relays last year.

Conditions for the meet Saturday were very poor, a pouring rain falling during most of the afternoon, and handicapping the contestants to a large extent. Eastman, the Crimson representative in the shotput, placed third with a heave of 42 feet 3 1-2 inches, his attempt falling short of those by Hills of Princeton and Beers of the University of Maryland. Both of the University entrants in the discus throw won places, Carpenter, with a distance of 124 feet 8 inches, coming fourth, and Miller, with a throw 19 inches shorter, gaining fifth. The event was won by Liel of Notre Dame.

The other Crimson contestant to place was Greenidge, who threw the javelin 166 feet 10 inches and thus won the fourth position in the event, which was captured by Storrs of Yale. Hauers won his heat in the hurdles in 15 3-5 seconds, but failed to place in the semi-finals.