The Well Dressed Man Crossing the Ocean

The man who travels lightly, as far as luggage is concerned, always looks accordingly dressed. He is the type of man who emphasizes the convenience of traveling with only one suitcase, and exclaims, "What a comfort it is to have no luggage!" As a matter of fact, only good manners prevent one from telling such a man that his explanation is a waste of time. To expect a rough travelling coat to appear to be, at the same time, entirely suitable for evening wear is an impractical illusion. Therefore, the man who has not the proper equipment with him when travelling, must choose between missing an adventure or going with clothes unsuited to the occasion. To go abroad for even a short business trip, a man should take his dinner clothes, three or four sacque suits, a heavy overcoat for traveling and a light coat to do for mild weather wear in some dark color which may also be worn in the evening. In Europe, a top hat is worn with dinner clothes at night. If a man is going about socially, he needs his dress clothes as well, for in London at this time it is considered bad form to wear anything but dress clothes when ladies are present.