FIELD SERVICE

France, more and more, is becoming the objective of American students in search of a year or two of foreign study. They as well as all friends of France, will be interested in the scholarships of the American Field Service and the generous work which the Dramatic Club is doing in their behalf. The mention of the A. F. S. brings to mind the early history of that organization and how, in 1916, its inception was hailed as the first evidence of an interest from the United States for an active part in the war. It was primarily an association of college men who served as ambulance drivers in the French armies. After the War the A. F. S. continued with the purpose of maintaining "good feeling and fellowship between the two nations", through the establishment of scholarships for the interchange of University students of France and the United States. The scholarships are continued as memorials to those 126 members of the A. F. S. who were killed, many of them Harvard men. M. Clemenceau gave the process of his student. American lecture tour to the committee, which is now endeavoring to supplement his contribution by a sum which will establish in perpetuity two fellowships to be known as the "Georges Clemenceau Fellowships". These will send one American student to France and bring one French student to this country.

The original endowment fund, started four years ago, supports twelve annual scholarships, and has sent 65 men to France for advanced study. The large number of applicants for these scholarships and the remarkable interest evinced by the French Universities has led to this new drive for $600,000. The nation could scarcely find a more suitable expression of its gratitude to the college men who led the country in its sympathy with France, than the establishing of this permanent living memorial.

The Dramatic Club's contribution, made possible by its two benefit performances, will apparently be the University's only share in the gift. Incidentally, the audiences at Brattle Hall this evening and tomorrow will be saying bon voyage for the University to the Dramatic Club before its departure for New York next week.