FOUND SCHOLARSHIP IN PARKER'S MEMORY

Man for Whom Scholarship Is Given Was Secretary of Class of 1922--Was Victim of Airplane Accident in 1921

A new scholarship is to be established at the University in memory of the late Richard Perkins Parker '22, of Salem, by the gift of his friends, about 90 of whom have collectively contributed $3000 for this purpose.

The scholarship is to be awarded annually to a "man of excellent character and ability", a member of the Junior class at the University, who will be selected by the college authorities with the approval of a committee representing the donors of the scholarship. This committee consists of A. B. von Adelung '21, Donald Angier '22, M. P. Baker '22, D. M. Key '22, and A. D. Welton Jr. '22.

Parker, in whose memory the scholarship is to be established, was killed in an airplane accident near Paris on September 6, 1921. During his college career he served as assistant business manager of the Freshman Red Book and as an editor of the Lampoon, and also played on the second football team. For a year he was secretary of his class. He was the son of Mr. and Mrs. George Swinnerton Parker.

Although the formalities have not been completed, the establishment of the scholarship is said to be assured. The first award will probably be made within the next month.