"THROUGH THE YEARS"

The scholarship just established at the University in memory of Richard Perkins Parker '22 by the gift of his friends is a splendid tribute to a man who has left a living imprint on the sands of his college generation. And it is more than that. The intent of the gift is that it shall be awarded each year to a Junior who combines Parker's high qualities of character and ability. It is not a "need" scholarship; the yearly stipend is small as scholarships go, but its purpose and the spirit in which it has been given are in keeping with the highest ideals of Harvard.

The brilliant student is rewarded in every recognized college throughout the world. Funds and aids are provided for men of limited means with the courage and ambition to win an education for themselves. And in recent years through such scholarships as the Rhodes at Oxford and the Victor Chapman Memorial here at Harvard, students of unusual abilities are given the opportunity for study overseas. But it fittingly remains for the new gift in the name of Richard Parker to honor, as does the Gordon Brown scholarship at Yale, each year the rare combination of wide interests, high standards, intellectual ability, and fine balance. In an age of specialized mediocrity such a gift is more than welcome.