DINNER IS FEATURE OF SEMI-CENTENNIAL

HOLD INFORMAL REUNION IN SANCTUM

Nearly 125 former editors of the HARVARD CRIMSON from all parts of the country arrived in Boston last Saturday to be present at the Fiftieth Anniversary Dinner commemorating the founding of the University paper in 1873.

During the afternoon these guests arrived at the Crimson Building on Plympton Street where they met the present editors and undergraduate members of the staff. In addition to a general informal reunion in the Sanctum, the guests inspected the building and watched the first part of the makeup of the special Saturday evening edition.

At 7.45 the guests, numbering about 200 in all, including representatives of the Yale News, the Daily Princetonian, the Cornell Daily Sun, the Dartmouth, and the Tech News, adjourned to the Union for the dinner.

Mr. Franklin E. Parker Jr. '18, president of the CRIMSON in 1918 and chairman of the dinner, introduced Mr. Jerome D. Greene as first speaker. Mr. Greene, who was actively engaged for the government in the American Allied Transport Council and the Reparations Commission and is at present an Overseer of the University, told of his early experiences on the University paper.

After H. H. Reed '23, editor of the CRIMSON for the past term had spoken a few words on what the CRIMSON is today, Professor Edward H. Warren '95, Storey Professor of Law at the University Law School, in his speech said that the building of a sense of responsibility and the making of lasting friendships by the work on the paper are among the real benefits to those on the staff.

In emphasizing the purposes in founding the University paper, Mr. Henry C. Merwin '74 said that the CRIMSON was founded to protest against the prevailing reactionary sentiment created by the Civil War. In closing the spoke to the effect that there is little question that the League of Nations would be entered by this country if only the young men of the country voted.

President Lowell in closing the after dinner program congratulated the CRIMSON on its ability in understanding the student and faculty points of view and for its fair presentation of each.