MILITARY SERVICE

The dinner tonight in honor of Major Goetz and Major Parker marks the end of the association of these two officers with the University. Major Goetz came here in the spring of 1919, when nearly all the efforts of the War Department were directed toward demobilization, and laid the foundations of the present Field Artillery Unit. His work was far from easy, on account of the apathy toward all things military that followed the war; but he succeeded in interesting a sufficient proportion of the student body to enable him to start two courses in the following September. Since then the expansion of the unit has been rapid; stables have been built on Soldiers Field, additional courses have been organized, and the actual results have become visible. Members of the Unit received commissions in the Reserve Corps both in 1921 and 1922. On man has entered the regular army as a second lieutenant, and this year a large number of students, comparatively speaking, are candidates for commissions in the Reserve Corps. The Unit is definitely on its feet, as Major Goetz prepares to turn over his task to some successor, shortly to be appointed by the War Department.

Major Parker came here in 1920 and it is largely due to his efforts that the number of students enrolled has increased from year to year. For three years he has taught the elementary course in Military Science--three years in which those who have studied under him have learned to appreciate highly his spirit of personal interest and sympathy.

The CRIMSON joins the members of the Unit in their attempt to recognize adequately the services of these two officers to the University.