CRIMSON HOMER AND TWO STOLEN BASES DEFEAT LAFAYETTE

Clark Steals Second, Third, and Then Home With Winning Run--Gazella and Berry Also Smash Circuit Clouts

Yesterday afternoon the University baseball team squeezed an 8 to 7 victory from Lafayette College, the winning run being made by Clark, who stole home in the eighth inning. The see-saw contest was featured by three home runs made by Owen, Gazella, and Berry. Spalding, who pitched the last three innings, held his opponents to one hit.

The University started the scoring in the last of the second inning. Hammond was given a base on balls, and was advanced to second on Buell's clean single to left field. Burgess grounded to the second baseman, but the latter threw to second, cutting off Buell. With a man on first and third, Larrabee knocked out a long sacrifice fly to center field which allowed Hammond to score on the throw-in. Burgess crossed the plate a minute later for the second tally on Herrmann's single to right field. Buell added one more run to the total in the fourth when a wild throw to first base allowed him to score from second.

It was not until the fifth that the Lafayette batters got under way. Three singles and an opportune base on balls gave the visitors three runs, the last one made on a sacrifice fly to center field.

The Crimson increased their lead with two runs in the last of the sixth, as the result of three line drives to center field. The success was only momentary, for Lafayette brought in three more runs when with two men on bases Gazella knocked out a home run that did not stop until it reached the Freshman back-stop, placing Lafayette in the lead for the first time during the contest.

It was at this critical point that Captain Owen selected an out-drop that broke across his shoulders, and landed it well over the left fielder's head for an easy home run, tying the score.

The University's winning run came in the eighth, Clark stealing second, third, and finally home when Gazella took too long a wind-up.

The summary:

Harvard  a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e.Clark, c.f.  3  1  1  4  0  0Gordon, l.f.  4  0  1  4  0  0Hill, s.s.  3  0  0  0  2  0Owen, 1b.  3  1  1  9  0  0Hammond, 2b.  4  2  1  2  1  1Buell, 3b.  3  2  3  2  1  0Burgess, r.f.  3  1  1  1  0  0Larrabee, c.  3  1  1  5  0  1Herrmann, p.  2  0  2  0  0  0Spalding, p.  1  0  0  0  2  0Total,  29  8  11  27  6  2Lafayette  a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e.Willever, 3b.  4  2  2  0  1  0Van hart, 2b.  3  2  2  4  5  1Gazella, ss., p.  3  1  2  2  2  1Ernest, c.f.  4  0  1  2  0  0Brennan, 1b.  5  0  0  8  0  0Brunner, l.f., s.s.  4  0  0  1  0  0Halstead, l.f.  1  0  0  0  0  0Starcher, r.f.  1  0  0  0  0  0Grube, r.f.  3  0  1  0  0  0Berry, c.  4  2  2  6  2  1Yeisley, p.  2  0  0  0  0  0Seaman, p.  2  0  0  0  2  0Total,  36  7  10  23*  12