LEAGUE ACHIEVEMENTS ALREADY NUMBER FOUR

Professor M. O. Hudson Says League Has Already Proven Worth--Wants New Appraisal of National Values

"We, who have seen the productive organs of the earth blown off by a declaration of war and the efforts of people thrown into a channel which is largely waste, should become critical of our own thinking in order that there may be a new appraisal of national values and that the spirit of international conferences may be quickened." Such was the opening thought expressed by Professor M. O. Hudson '10 of the University Law School when he addressed a small group in Longfellow House yesterday afternoon on the League, the subject being "Back-door, Side-door, Cellar-door, or Front-door."

He then developed the idea of the interdependency of the nations upon each other, and told how it was a growing tendency to control international relations by placing certain of them under the regulation of an international body.--a splendid example being the International Postal Union at Berne, Switzerland, which has made possible the safe and quick delivery of letters between nations.

He continued: "The League was established in the most troubled years the world has ever seen, yet it has four notable achievements to record: the establishment of an international world court; the bringing about of the financial salvation of Austria last year; the creation of a new international llaw; and the adoption of methods successful in blocking world wars."

On the last of the four, Professor Hudson particularly elaborated, showing how the League of Nations had first settled the dispute between Finnland and Sweden over the Aaland Islands, and later territorial disputes between Poland and Lithuania and between Jugo-Slavia and Albania, in all of which cases war might have followed except for intervention by the League.