CLUES PROVECLAPP ALIVE AND HEADED FOR WORCESTER

Given Lift in Automobile and Last Seen in Framingham Center--Said He was Headed for Albany on Holiday

The theory that Verner Warren Clapp 1G, was drowned while swimming in the Charles on Wednesday will have to be abandoned as a result of two late reports that seem to prove that Clapp in on his way to Worcester. About 9.30 last night William Eastwood of Framingham reported to the Framingham Chief of Police that he had picked up a man answering to Clapp's description at about 8.30 o'clock Thursday morning outside Framingham. Eastwood was on his way to Marlboro by motor and found a man in a blue serge suit "and white sneakers" without hat walking along the highway towards Worcester. He said he was a Harvard student working his way to Albany. Eastwood took him as far as Framingham Center where he took the Worcester road on foot.

Earlier in the morning at 7.40 o'clock Franklin Macormick, who has a business address at 178 Tremont Street, Boston, saw a man in the Framingham Railroad station who answered the description exactly. Macormick stated that the stranger wore blue trousers and the top of a bathing suit over his shirt. He was alleged to have accosted him and to have made inquiries regarding a cheap clothing store, saying "all I want is something to make myself less conspicuous".

When asked to identify the man with the picture in the papers, Macormick stated "if this is a true likeness I am convinced that the man was Clapp".

The meeting in the station is reported to have taken place shortly before Eastwood picked up the stranger on the highway. At this point he wore a blue coat in addition to the blue trousers and had a green paper bag in his pocket. East wood noticed he had on high white sneakers. The man volunteered the information he was a Harvard student and said "I was tired of studies and wanted to take a day off". He added that he had left Boston early Thursday morning by train and had gotten off at Auburndale, whence he had worked his way to Framingham. He said he was going to Albany to return immediately to Cambridge on his arrival.